Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
- Listen to previous episodes -
Australian-born composer and songwriter Carla dal Forno’s eagerly-anticipated new material comes in the form of The Garden, a 12” for UK’s Blackest Ever Black, due for release on October 6th and follow-up to her sublime debut full-length You Know What It’s Like. Dal Forno is also a member of the trio Fingers (alongside Samuel Karmel and Tarquin Manek) who release their second LP, Awkwardly Blissing Out, this month. Recorded in Melbourne and Berlin between 2015–17, the album is the follow-up to the trio’s 2015 debut album Hide Before Dinner. Dal Forno’s own mixes (originally made for Berlin Community Radio while residing in the German capital; she now compiles monthly hour-long shows for NTS Radio) are always an indispensable source for music (Circuit 7’s “Eastern Dreams” from our September mixtape is one such example).
The forever-inspiring Chicago-based artist Circuit des Yeux (Haley Fohr) releases her magnificent fifth studio album Reaching For Indigo on U.S. independent Drag City on 20th October. Unveiled so far is the mesmerising new single “Black Fly” which confirms Fohr as one of independent music’s most singular voices and fascinating contemporary music-makers.
Anthology Recordings – Mexican Summer’s reissue imprint – release the majestic compilation Feel The Music Vol. 1 next month. Compiled by Paul Major – pioneering record dealer and frontman of the band Endless Boogie – this truly special record effortlessly spans sounds and styles (folk, psychedelia, blues, rock n roll) while unearthing a plethora of truly unique (and largely unknown to wider audiences) songwriters from a golden age of music.
September’s mix also features new releases from possibly the year’s most anticipated pair of albums which come courtesy of both Four Tet (New Energy, Text) and Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Constellation). Electronic maestro Four Tet and his monumental New Energy album (available via his Text imprint from 29th September); Montréal’s mythical Godspeed You! Black Emperor unleash their sublime seventh album Luciferian Towers via Constellation which confirm the band (as if confirmation was ever necessary) as one of the world’s most ceaselessly innovative and breathtaking bands.
01. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – “Fam/Famine” (Constellation)
02. Dungen – “Achmed Flyger” (Version 1) (Versions by Prins Thomas) (Smalltown Supersound)
03. James Holden & The Animal Spirits – “Each Moment Like The First” (Border Community)
04. Circuit des Yeux – “Black Fly” (Drag City)
05. Forest Swords – “Raw Language” (Ninja Tune)
06. Yasuaki Shimizu – “Seiko 1” (Crammed Discs)
07. Ariel Pink – “Feels Like Heaven” (Mexican Summer)
08. The Smiths — “The Hand That Rocks The Cradle” (Rough Trade)
09. Arthur Russell – “Get Around To It” (Rough Trade, Audika)
10. Nausea – “No Conversation” (Ecstatic)
11. Circuit 7 – “Eastern Dreams” (Minimal Wave)
12. Carla dal Forno – “The Garden” (Blackest Ever Black)
13. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – “To Feel Your Best” (Western Vinyl)
14. Richard Horowitz – “Eros Never Stops Dreaming” (RVNG Intl)
15. F Ingers – “Your Confused” (Blackest Ever Black)
16. Geinoh Yamashirogumi – “Kaneda” (Akira OST, Milan)
17. Sanza – “Sounout” (Original Mix) (Music For Dreams)
18. Burial – “Rodent” (Hyperdub)
19. Four Tet – “Scientists” (Text)
20. Actress & London Contemporary Orchestra – “Audio Track 5” (Ninja Tune)
21. Carmen Villain – “Red Desert” (Smalltown Supersound)
22. Blue Iverson – “Who Shot Lucious Lyon?” (Self-Released)
23. Darius – “I Feel The Need To Carry On” (Anthology Recordings)
24. Bill Mackay & Ryley Walker – “Dragonfly” (Drag City)
25. Ry Cooder – “I Knew These People” (excerpt) (Paris Texas OST, Warner Bros.)
26. Sun Kil Moon – “Si, Paloma” (Caldo Verde)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, September 2017. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels. If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.