Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
April’s mixtape opens with “I Can’t Find Water”, album opener for Hauschka’s latest full-length What If, yet another monumental and sprawling opus courtesy of the Dusseldorf-based artist Volker Bertelmann. Recorded mainly in Berlin with Francesco Donadello, What If gloriously mirrors Hauschka’s own transcendental live performances, where worlds of both analogue and digital (a mixture of various synthesisers, grand pianos, player pianos and percussive instruments) effortlessly interweave in scintillating long-form compositions. What If is the sound of a producer as much as a pianist, confirming Hauschka as one of brightest burning jewels in independent music today.
Berlin-based and Stockholm-born songwriter Molly Nilsson releases her much-anticipated new full-length Imaginations this May, the follow-up to 2015’s stunning Zenith LP. Night School Records have also been busy re-issuing Nilsson’s back catalogue in recent times, most recently with the re-issue of her breakthrough second LP Follow The Light.
One of the year’s most staggering releases comes (once again) courtesy of James Leyland Kirkby’s The Caretaker project. Everywhere at the end of time is the epic six-album odyssey (April saw the release of “stage two”) which will take three years to conclude. The series draws upon the conceptual framework of dementia, and how the disease impacts the mind and memory. In the words of Kirkby, “The second stage is the self realisation and awareness that something is wrong with a refusal to accept that. More effort is made to remember so memories can be more long form with a little more deterioration in quality. The overall personal mood is generally lower than the first stage and at a point before confusion starts setting in.”
April’s mixtape also features a selection of new releases from: Clark’s Death Peak (Warp); Forest Swords’ Compassion (Ninja Tune); Nan Kolè’s Malumz EP (Black Acre); Mary Lattimore’s Collected Pieces (Ghostly International); Homeboy Sandman’s Veins (Stones Throw) and Mount Eerie’s A Crow Looked At Me (P.W. Elverum & Sun).
01. Hauschka – “I Can’t Find Water” (City Slang / Temporary Residence)
02. Forest Swords – “Arms Out” (Ninja Tune)
03. John Hassell – “Miracle Steps” (Optimo Music)
04. Clark – “Catastrophe Anthem” (Warp)
05. The xx – “A Violent Noise” (Four Tet Remix) (Young Turks)
06. Talaboman – “Samsa” (R&S)
07. Nan Kolè – “Bayefal” (Black Acre)
08. Vex Ruffin – “Front” (Stones Throw)
09. Homeboy Sandman – “Bamboo” (Stones Throw)
10. Chromatics – “Circled Sun” (Italians Do It Better)
11. Bibio – “Feeling” (Knx Remix) (Warp)
12. Dunkelziffer – “Colours and Soul” (Emotional Rescue)
13. Lewis Furey – “Lewis is Crazy” (Aquarius)
14. Scott Walker – “Montague Terrace (In Blue)” (Philips)
15. Angelo Badalamenti – “Love Theme” (Mulholland Drive OST, Milan)
16. Mount Eerie – “Toothbrush / Trash” (P.W. Elverum & Sun)
17. Dinah Washington & Max Richter – “This Bitter Earth / On the Nature of Daylight” (La French OST, Gaumont, Légende Films)
18. Vashti Bunyan – “If I Were” (FatCat)
19. Mary Lattimore – “We Just Found Out She Died” (Ghostly International)
20. Leandro Fresco and Rafael Anton Irisarri – “Cuando El Misterio Es Demasiado Impresionante, Es Imposible Desobedecer” (A Strangely Isolated Place)
21. Orcas (with Martyn Heyne) – “Into the Night” (Soundcloud)
22. Molly Nilsson – “A Song They Won’t Be Playing On the Radio” (Dark Skies Association / Night School)
23. Helado Negro – “Runaround” (Alternate Mix) (RVNG Intl)
24. Julia Holter – “Lucette Stranded On the Island” (Live at RAK) (Domino)
25. The Caretaker – “The way ahead feels lonely” (History Always Favours The Winners)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, April 2017. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels. If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.