Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
- Listen to previous episodes -
For March’s mixtape, we are excited to share two exclusive tracks, by Reykjavík-based composer Valgeir Sigurðsson (Iceland/Bedroom Community) and Berlin-based percussionist and drummer Andrea Belfi (Italy/Float).
Valgeir Sigurðsson releases his hugely anticipated new solo work Dissonance (the follow-up to 2013’s mesmerising Architecture Of Loss LP) on April 21st via Icelandic independent label Bedroom Community (founded by Sigurðsson in 2006). Recorded and produced between September 2015 and November 2016 at his Reykjavík-based Greenhouse Studios, Dissonance confirms Sigurðsson as one of contemporary music’s most gifted and innovative composers in the modern classical realm. Dissonance features collaborators Liam Byrne and Reykjavík Sinfonia and features the monumental side-long title-track alongside two separate suites: “No Nights Dark Enough” (in five parts) and the three-part “1875”.
The Italian-born and Berlin-based artist Andrea Belfi releases his sublime full-length Ore – excitingly the first for Float – which comprises his finely-honed craft as a gifted drummer and percussionist, using his own trusted sound set-up (a Saari drum-kit from Finland and a Nord modular and sampler). In recent times, Belfi’s name has reached a wider audience while collaborating and touring with the Nils Frahm-led, Berlin-based three-piece Nonkeen (R&S Records). Ore will be released on 26 May 2017 via Float.
Numero Group – the ever-indispensable archival and reissue specialists – this month issued the definitive double-album retrospective on The Creation, the short-lived but hugely influential 1960’s mod-rock group. Entitled Action Painting, the double-album set features the complete Creation studio recordings as well as tracks from The Creation’s predecessors, The Mark Four (featuring future Kinks bassist John Dalton).
March’s mix also features new releases from: Colin Stetson; Feist; Nathan Fake; Forest Swords; The Shins; Spoon; Demen and Kelly Lee Owens.
01. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis – “Mars Theme” (Mars OST, Milan)
02. Andrea Belfi – “Lead” (Float)
03. Blanck Mass – “Rhesus Negative” (Sacred Bones)
04. Moiré – “Auteur (Outro)” (Ghostly International)
05. Lusine – “Witness” (feat. Benoît Pioulard) (Ghostly International)
06. Earthen Sea – “About That Time” (Kranky)
07. Demen – “Niorum” (Kranky)
08. Ben Frost – “Impossibilities” (Fortitude OST, SATV Publishing Limited/Sky, Mute)
09. Valgeir Sigurðsson – “No Nights Dark Enough II. infamy sings” (Bedroom Community)
10. Feist – “Pleasure” (Polydor)
11. The Creation – “Through My Eyes” (Numero Group)
12. Spoon – “Us” (Matador)
13. The Shins – “The Fear” (Columbia)
14. Ennio Morricone – “Un Uomo Da Rispettare” (Un Uomo Da Rispettare OST, Superior Viaduct)
15. High Plains – “Blood That Ran the Rapids” (Kranky)
16. Kelly Lee Owens – “Lucid” (Smalltown Supersound)
17. Forest Swords – “The Highest Flood” (Ninja Tune)
18. Nathan Fake – “HoursDaysMonthsSeasons” (Ninja Tune)
19. Colin Stetson – “In the clinches” (Constellation)
20. Actress – “X22RME” (Ninja Tune)
21. FKA Twigs – “Hide” (Young Turks)
22. Todd Terje – “Jungelknugen” (Four Tet Remix) (Olsen Norway)
23. Peaking Lights – “Little Flower” (Two Flowers)
24. Risco Connection – “Ain’t No Stopping Us Now” (Soul Jazz)
25. Madlib – “Cue 4” (Stones Throw)
26. Little Simz – “No More Wonderland” (AGE 101)
27. Rusangano Family – “Eyedentity” (Self-Released)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, March 2017. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels. If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.