Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
We’re excited to present three exclusive tracks for February’s mixtape.
February’s edition features an exclusive first listen of UK-based organist and composer James McVinnie’s Recycles album, set for release this Spring via Icelandic independent Bedroom Community. The album is a collection of reworks of McVinnie’s glorious 2013 Bedroom Community album, Cycles, an album featuring thirteen organ pieces performed by Mcvinnie, written by Nico Muhly and also featuring contributions from Nadia Sirota, Chris Thompson and Simon Wall. Presented here is the rework of “O Emmanuel” (the final of the “Seven O Antiphon Preludes” from Cycles) by composer Paul Evans, who is also the producer and engineer at the legendary Greenhouse Studios; the creative home of Bedroom Community, founded by Valgeir Sigurðsson in 1997.
Also featured on February’s mixtape is an exclusive first listen of Irish songwriter Brigid Mae Power’s hauntingly beautiful cover of Planxty’s “As I Roved Out” (a regular inclusion on Power’s enthralling live shows), taken from her forthcoming The Ones You Keep Close EP, comprising a collection of older songs of Power’s newly recorded by Peter Broderick at his Woods, Oregon-based studio The Sparkle during 2016. The stunning six-track vinyl EP will be available this April via German independent label Oscarson.
We’re happy to also feature the exclusive track “Rooks” by Seattle-based artist Benoît Pioulard (Kranky, Ghostly International, Morr Music) which will be exclusively made available on a tour-only CD during his forthcoming eagerly-awaited European tour, commencing on 4th March 2017.
Also included on February’s mixtape are new releases from: Brokeback, Colin Stetson, Hauschka, Jens Lekman, Visible Cloaks, Cindy Lee, Clap! Clap!, Talaboman, Mind Over Mirrors, Julie Byrne & much more.
01. Visible Cloaks – “Circle” (RVNG Intl)
02. Julia Holter – “So Lillies” (Live at RAK) (Domino)
03. Yaw – “Where Will You Be” (!K7)
04. Françoise Hardy – “Voilà” (Disques Vogue)
05. Cindy Lee – “A Message From The Aching Sky” (Superior Viaduct)
06. The Sadies – “It’s Easy (Like Walking)” [feat. Kurt Vile] (Yep Roc)
07. The Saxophones – “If You’re on the Water” (Self-Released)
08. Brokeback – “Spanish Venus” (Thrill Jockey)
09. Jens Lekman – “What’s That Perfume That You Wear?” (Secretly Canadian)
10. William Onyeabor – “Fantastic Man” (Luaka Bop)
11. Brentford Disco Set – “Rebel Disco” (Soul Jazz)
12. Adrian Homer Miller – “One and Only One” (Light In The Attic)
13. Colleen – “Eclipse” (Thrill Jockey)
14. Those Who Walk Away – “First Degraded Hymn” (Constellation)
15. Toydrum – “I’ve Got a Future” (Nick Cave & Warren Ellis Rework) [feat. Gavin Clark] (Skint)
16. Julie Byrne – “I Live Now As A Singer” (Ba Da Bing!)
17. Clap! Clap! – “Ascension Psalm” (feat. HDADD) (Black Acre)
18. Talaboman – “Safe Changes” (R&S)
19. Caribou – “People Eating Fruit” (Leaf)
20. Vermont – “Norderney” (Kompakt)
21. Paddy Mulcahy – “On The Steps” (Self-Released)
22. Hauschka – “Constant Growth Fails” (City Slang / Temporary Residence)
23. Mind Over Mirrors – “To the Edges” (Paradise Of Bachelors)
24. James McVinnie – “O Emmanuel” (Paul Evans Recycle) (Bedroom Community)
25. Benoît Pioulard – “Rooks” (Self-Released)
26. Colin Stetson – “Spindrift” (Constellation)
27. Mario Batkovic – “Restrictus 2” (Invada)
28. Richard Osborn – “Still I Will Be Merry” (Tompkins Square)
29. Brigid Mae Power – “As I Roved Out” (Oscarson)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, February 2017. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.