Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
October’s mixtape contains an exclusive unreleased track by the world-renowned electronic composer Loscil (Canada/Kranky) ahead of the release of his forthcoming album Monument Builders, due for release on November 11th via Kranky.
Over nearly two decades, Loscil (Vancouver-born Scott Morgan) has been amassing a constantly evolving, soul-stirring body of work. Beginning with his 2001 debut Triple Point, Loscil has developed his own unique style of textural rhythms that ceaselessly blur the lines of ambient, techno, drone and modern-classical. Next month sees the hugely anticipated release of Loscil’s Monument Builders (his eighth release for the Chicago-based independent Kranky) and follow-up to 2014’s magnificent Sea Island full length.
Also included in October’s mix are two selections from the latest guest mix by the legendary music specialists Late Night Tales – this time with Belfast-born producer extraordinaire David Holmes at the helm – which ranks amongst the most irresistible contributions in the vast Late Night Tales archive to date. Featured here is the heart-stopping tribute to the late Henry McCullough, the Northern Irish guitarist who was a member of Spooky Tooth, Paul McCartney’s Wings, Sweeney’s Men and also performed with Joe Cocker. Holmes collaborates with the Irish DJ, musician and author BP Fallon for the gorgeous “Henry McCullough”, a most loving and poignant tribute to his memory.
October’s mix also features new releases by the Irish-based electronic producer Ellll (pseudonym for Cork-based artist Ellen King) who releases her sublime debut EP Romance next month; Katie Gately’s stunning debut album Color on the Tri Angle label; the impeccable “Stranger Things” soundtrack composed by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein from the Austin-based band S U R V I V E and the second album by Xylouris White (legendary cretan-lute player George Xylouris and Dirty Three’s Jim White) entitled Black Peak, out now on Bella Union.
01. John Carpenter – “Hofner Dawn” (Sacred Bones)
02. Colleen – “Your Heart On Your Sleeve” (The Leaf Label)
03. Ellll – “Romance” (Art For Blind)
04. Katie Gately – “Lift” (Tri Angle)
05. Jessy Lanza – “Could Be U” (Hyperdub)
06. Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein – “This Isn’t You” (Stranger Things OST, Lakeshore)
07. Black Marble – “It’s Conditional” (Ghostly International)
08. Madvillain – “The Illest Villains” (Stones Throw, PIAS)
09. Betty Harris – “There’s a Break in the Road” (Soul Jazz)
10. J Dilla & MF Doom – “Sniper Elite” (Gold Dust Media)
11. Virginia Wing – “Daughter of the Mind” (Fire)
12. Marissa Nadler – “High on the Road” (Bandcamp)
13. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis – “Texas Midlands” (Hell or High Water OST, Milan)
14. Stars Of The Lid – “Tippy’s Demise” (Kranky)
15. Low – “Untitled 1” (Bandcamp)
16. Bob Dylan – “Song To Woody” (Columbia)
17. Xylouris White – “The Feast” (Bella Union)
18. the Marquis de Tren and Bonny Billy (with Angel Olsen) – “Solemn 28” (Drag City, Domino)
19. The Children Of Sunshine – “It’s A Long Way To Heaven” (LateNightTales)
20. Townes Van Zandt – “Waitin’ Around To Die” (Charly, Poppy)
21. Ennio Morricone – “The Ecstasy Of Gold” (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly OST, United Artists)
22. The Avalanches – “The Wozard Of Iz” (XL)
23. BP Fallon & David Holmes – “Henry McCullough” (LateNightTales)
24. Primal Scream – “Inner Flight” (Creation)
25. Katie Kim – “Ghosts” (Art For Blind)
26. Boom Bip – “I See Me” (Sun Choke OST, Lex)
27. Loscil – “Varia” (Unreleased)
28. Jóhann Jóhannsson – “A Song for Europa” (Deutsche Grammophon)
29. Claire M Singer – “Wrangham” (Touch)
30. Gavin Bryars (with Tom Waits) – “Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet” (Obscure, Island)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, October 2016. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.