Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
We’re delighted to present two previously unreleased tracks for September’s mixtape, by Iceland-based cellist and composer Hildur Guðnadóttir and Portland Oregon-based artist Brumes.
For well over a decade now, Hildur Guðnadóttir has firmly established herself as one of the jewels in the crown of today’s independent music scene. Guðnadóttir’s remarkable artistry and versatility has been widely evident in her highly prolific recording output to date – whether in the form of solo works or her many collaborations – on labels such as Touch, Sonic Pieces and Oral Records. Guðnadóttir has released a string of formidable solo albums – from her landmark 2009 full-length Without Sinking to 2014’s Saman (both albums released via the world-renowned U.K. independent label Touch) and has collaborated with musicians including Hauschka (Dusseldorf’s Volker Bertelmann) and Iceland’s Jóhann Jóhannsson.
The moving composition “Fólk fær andlit” (translates to “People get Faces”) was originally published by Guðnadóttir to her YouTube page in April of 2016, in response to the series of events which unfolded in her native Iceland in December 2015, involving the deportation of Albanian children with terminal illnesses along with their families who had been denied residence permits (her heartfelt and eloquently written account of the inspiration to “Fólk fær andlit” can be read in full here).
Brumes are a three-piece based in Portland Oregon whose lineup comprises of lead songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Desireé Rousseau, Dalton Long (drums) and Nico Bartulski (keys). The band’s debut album Soundings in Fathoms was recorded by renowned producer (musician/composer) Peter Broderick at his home studio The Sparkle along the Oregon coast. “I’m Not Listening” was also recorded at The Sparkle by Peter Broderick.
Also featured in September’s mixtape are newly released gems by longtime indie greats Cass McCombs (Mangy Love, Anti-) and Woods (City Sun Eater In The River of Light, Woodsit); latest solo full-length by beloved Irish songwriter Lisa Hannigan (At Swim, Play It Again Sam); a pair of releases by the forever inspiring FatCat imprint 130701 (Warsaw-based cellist and composer Resina and Moscow-based pianist and multi-instrumentalist Dmitry Evgrafov).
September also sees the welcome return of the hugely influential independent label Tomlab (The Books, Patrick Wolf, Final Fantasy) with Berlin-based electronic artist Heimer’s shape-shifting debut album Teilzeit Swag.
01. Masayoshi Fujita & Jan Jelinek – “Cin” (excerpt) (Faitiche)
02. Botany – “Needam Wish To” (Western Vinyl)
03. The Avalanches – “Saturday Night Inside Out” (XL Recordings)
04. Syrinx – “Hollywood Dream Trip” (RVNG Intl)
05. Ashanti Roy – “Hail The Words of Jah” (Soul Jazz)
06. Barbara Lynn – “This Is The Thanks I Get” (Light In The Attic)
07. Woods – “Sun City Creeps” (Woodsit)
08. Mr. Sweety “G” – “At the Place to Be” (Soul Jazz)
09. Cass McCombs – “Opposite House” (Anti-)
10. Angel Olsen – “Woman” (Jagjaguwar)
11. Lisa Hannigan – “Ora” (Play It Again Sam / ATO)
12. Resina – “Afterimage” (130701)
13. Hildur Guðnadóttir – “Fólk fær andlit” (Unreleased)
14. Adam Bryanbaum Wiltzie – “Lithium, The New Era” (Erased Tapes)
15. Brumes – “I’m Not Listening” (Unreleased)
16. Fiona Brice – “Dallas” (Digital 21 + Stefan Olsdal Remix) (Bella Union)
17. Cat Power – “Say” (Matador)
18. ISAN – “Napier Deltic” (Morr Music)
19. Forma – “Maxwell’s Demon” (Kranky)
20. Jackie Lynn – “Alien Love” (Thrill Jockey)
21. Craig Leon – “Details Suggest Fidelity To Fact” (RVNG Intl)
22. Heimer – “Icy Grip” (Tomlab)
23. Zomby & Banshee – “Fly 2” (Hyperdub)
24. Oliver Coates – “STASH” (PRAH Recordings)
25. Mogwai – “U-235” (Atomic OST, Rock Action)
26. Katie Kim – “FOREIGN FLEAS” (Bandcamp)
27. Eluvium – “Strangeworks” (Temporary Residence)
28. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – “Distant Sky” (Bad Seed Ltd.)
29. Dmitry Evgrafov – “The Lofty Sky” (130701)
30. Irene Buckley – “Waiting” (House of Usher extract) (Soundcloud)
31. Arvo Pärt – “My Heart’s In The Highlands” (Else Torp, Christopher Bowers-Broadbent) (Harmonia Mundi)
32. Jóhann Jóhannsson – “Good Night, Day” (Deutsche Grammophon)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, September 2016. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.