Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
We’re proud to present an exclusive unreleased track by Christina Vantzou for August’s mixtape. The Kansas-born and Brussels-based composer has released three solo full-length LP’s to date (N°1, N°2 and N°3) via illustrious Chicago-based independent label Kranky.
Vantzou’s formidable body of work also spans the mediums of both visual art and film-making while her own music career began with duo The Dead Texan (alongside Adam Wiltzie) as the hybrid role of keyboardist/animator/video artist. The pair released their debut self-titled album in 2004 via Kranky. Through her preferred composing set-up of laptop, midi keyboard and headphones and an ever-present curiosity and tireless passion for exploring new sonic territories, Vantzou is among the the finest contemporary composers making music in the modern classical realm today.
Also featured on August’s edition are selections from the awe-inspiring Guerssen Records, a record label based in Catalonia, Spain. Set up in 1996, Guerrsen’s ever-expanding catalogue specialises in the reissuing of rare and obscure psychedelic, progressive, folk and garage albums from the 60s to early 80s.
Featured here are tracks from Paul Martin’s mid-sixties timeless opus It Happened ; We The People’s fascinating compilation Visions of Time: Complete Recordings (a 60s teen band from L.A. who also recorded 45s under the American Zoo alias) and Oberon’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream, a classic in the British psych-folk genre (it was originally released in 1971 as a private edition of only 99 copies).
August’s mixtape also features new releases from MJ Guider’s stunning debut album Precious Systems (Kranky), hype williams’ 10/10 (Bandcamp); the return of legendary duo Xylouris White (Australia’s Jim White and Greece’s George Xylouris) with Black Peak (Bella Union) and Peter Broderick’s latest masterful record, Partners (Erased Tapes).
01. Christina Vantzou – “juno loop 200 BC” (Unreleased)
02. Tomorrow The Rain Will Fall Upwards – “…And I Tried” (Blackest Ever Black)
03. Spiritualized – “Let It Flow” (Dedicated)
04. The Velvet Underground & Nico – “Venus In Furs” (Polydor)
05. Dirty Three – “Furnace Skies” (Anchor And Hope / Bella Union)
06. Xylouris White – “Black Peak” (Bella Union)
07. Trader Horne – “Jenny May” (Earth)
08. Dieterich & Barnes – “Parasol Gigante” (LM Duplication)
09. Kamuran Akkor – “Kabahat Seni Sevende” (Pharaway Sounds)
10. Mulatu Astatke – “Nètsanèt (Liberty)” (Buda Musique)
11. The Avalanches – “Because I’m Me” (XL Recordings)
12. Kamasi Washington – “Change Of The Guard” (excerpt) (Brainfeeder)
13. hype williams – “DIVA” (Bandcamp)
14. Jenny Hval – “Female Vampire” (Sacred Bones)
15. MJ Guider – “Triple Black” (Kranky)
16. Julian Winding – “The Demon Dance” (The Neon Demon OST, Milan)
17. Rival Consoles – “Lone” (Erased Tapes)
18. Bibio – “Wren Tails” (Warp)
19. Benoît Pioulard – “Layette” (Kranky)
20. Roj – “Attaining The Third State” (Ghost Box)
21. Oberon – “Nottamun Town” (Guerssen)
22. Georges Delerue – “Au Revoir Mon Amour!” (Cartouche OST, EmArcy)
23. We The People – “Back Street Thoughts” (Guerssen)
24. Robert Wyatt – “At Last I Am Free” (Rough Trade)
25. Jóhann Jóhannsson – “Flight from the City” (Deutsche Grammophon)
26. Peter Broderick – “Up Niek Mountain” (Erased Tapes)
27. Glenn Jones – “Spokane River Falls” (Thrill Jockey)
28. Brigid Mae Power – “Sometimes” (Tompkins Square)
29. Fiona Brice – “Glastonbury” (Bella Union)
30. Paul Martin – “This Is The End” (Guerssen)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, August 2016. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.