Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
We’re delighted to present two exclusive tracks by the world-renowned Berlin-based contemporary classical music collective stargaze. Founded by German conductor André de Ridder, stargaze comprise a network of classically trained European musicians who have performed and collaborated extensively in a wide variety of contexts to date.
The German-based collective have worked with some of the most acclaimed and forward-thinking contemporary music-makers, including: Julia Holter, Nils Frahm, Bryce Dessner, Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo, A Hawk and a Hacksaw, Shara Worden, Owen Pallett, These New Puritans and many more; and have appeared at prestigious festivals and venues including: the Holland Festival, Barbican Centre London, Acht-Brücken-Festival at Cologne Philharmonie, Crossing Borders Festival, Wonderfeel Festival, Kaltern Pop Festival, Berlin Pop-Kultur, Rewire Festival (NL).
Another vital element of the stargaze repertoire in recent years has been amassing their considerable collection of instrumental works. These have included: Deerhof Chamber Variations by Greg Saunier; string quartets by Sufjan Stevens and Bryce Dessner as well as David Lang’s composition Death Speaks; Mica Levi’s Under The Skin and Richard Reed Parry’s Music for Heart and Breath.
Presented exclusively for June’s mixtape are stargaze’s analogue arrangements of Boards of Canada’s EP Hi Scores, performed live at Motel Mozaïque in Rotterdam during April 2016. Arrangements are by Aart Strootman.
Staying in Berlin, also included in June’s mixtape is the highly acclaimed Hamburg-born and Berlin-based guitarist and composer Martyn Heyne who released his gorgeous debut solo E.P. Shady & Light this year (available as a free download here). Heyne has long been associated with countless musicians in the independent music scene as they have recorded at Lichte, Heyne’s Berlin-based home studio (Sarah Neufeld, Nils Frahm, Lubomyr Melnyk, Peter Broderick). Heyne was also a touring member with Danish group Efterklang during their 2013 Piramida tour.
Finally, June also saw the release of Irish songwriter Brigid Mae Power’s masterful self-titled album (her first for U.S. independent Tompkins Square). The album was recorded in 2015 with Peter Broderick at The Sparkle, his hometown studio in Portland, Oregon.
01. Brigid Mae Power – “Watching The Horses” (Tompkins Square)
02. Sarah Neufeld – “Chase the Bright and Burning” (Paper Bag)
03. The Flaming Lips – “The Observer” (Warner Bros.)
04. s t a r g a z e – “Everything You Do Is A Balloon” (live at Motel Mozaïque, Rotterdam, 09/04/16)
05. Arthur Russell – “Instrumentals – 1974 Volume 1” (Rough Trade, Audika)
06. Oliver Coates – “Innocent Love” (PRAH Recordings)
07. Jessy Lanza – “It Means I Love You” (Hyperdub)
08. Moderat – “Finder” (Monkeytown)
09. Jamie xx & Four Tet – “SeeSaw” (feat. Rome) [Club Version] (Young Turks)
10. Kiasmos – “Swayed” (Erased Tapes)
11. Ólafur Arnalds & Nils Frahm – “23:52” (Erased Tapes)
12. Boards Of Canada – “Sunshine Recorder” (Warp)
13. Radiohead – “Full Stop” (XL Recordings)
14. Explosions In The Sky – “The Ecstatics” (Bella Union)
15. MJ Guider – “Lit Negative” (Kranky)
16. Julee Cruise – “Mysteries Of Love” (Warner Bros.)
17. Angel Olsen – “Intern” (Jagjaguwar)
18. Martyn Heyne – “Brandung” (http://martynheyne.com)
19. Roslyn Steer – “Of A Sunday” (Kantcope)
20. Bob Dylan – “Final Theme” (Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid OST, Columbia)
21. s t a r g a z e – “Nlogax / Turquoise Hexagon Sun” (live at Motel Mozaïque, Rotterdam, 09/04/16)
22. Bill Fay – “The Sun Is Bored” (Deram, Decca)
23. Amiina – “Kola” (Lighthouse Version) (Sound Of A Handshake)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, June 2016. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.