Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres. - Listen to previous episodes -
We’re delighted to present an exclusive unreleased track by U.S. composer and songwriter Peter Broderick (Bella Union, Erased Tapes) in April’s mixtape. For well over a decade now, the world-renowned Portland Oregon-born artist has been to the forefront of the thriving independent music scene, amassing a considerable body of work across a multitude of labels and platforms in the process.
While originally a member of both Efterklang and Horse Feathers, Broderick’s reputation as a gifted solo composer would be heralded by the release of both folk-based “Home” (Bella Union) and the piano-based “Float” (Type) in 2008.
Since then, Broderick has released a plethora of records for labels such as Erased Tapes and Bella Union, highlights including: 2009’s Music For Falling From Trees, 2011’s Music For Confluence, 2012’s These Walls Of Mine and 2015’s Colours Of The Night albums.
Collaboration has also been of vital importance to Broderick’s artistic output to date. Duos have been formed with U.K.’S Greg Haines (Greg Gives Peter Space) and France’s Félicia Atkinson (La Nuit) while other collaborations have featured: Nils Frahm, Machinefabriek, Gabriel Solomon, Heather Woods Broderick and The Beacon Sound Choir. In recent years, Broderick has produced, recorded, and guested on many musicians’ works from his home-based studio, “The Sparkle” (Corrina Repp, Brumes, David Allred).
Here is how Peter describes his track, “Boom”:
“ “It’s a thing I call Boom, and it’s basically just some effected casio loops with live drums over the top… I’ve enjoyed listening to it several times and don’t really have any plans to do anything with it.” ”
Also appearing on April’s mixtape is Irish composer and pianist Conor Walsh. Born in County Mayo, Conor Walsh released his debut E.P. (The Front, via Ensemble Music) last year to widespread critical acclaim.
Despite it being Walsh’s debut recorded release, Walsh was a firmly established artist who had toured regularly across Ireland and additionally composed for both film and television to date. It was with such great sadness to learn of Conor’s sudden and untimely death in March.
We’d both like to take this opportunity to dedicate this month’s mixtape to the memory of Conor Walsh, such an inspiring and beautiful composer and person who has touched many people’s lives with his music.
01. Days Of Heaven – “give him a flower…” (Paramount Pictures)
02. HKE – “Awake” (Olde English Spelling Bee)
03. Nico Muhly/Sam Amidon – “The Only Tune: I. the Two Sisters” (Bedroom Community)
04. Nonkeen – “The Invention Mother” (R&S)
05. Peter Broderick – “Boom” (Unreleased)
06. Micachu & The Shapes – “Oh Baby” (Rough Trade)
07. Babyfather – “God Hour” (feat. Micachu) (Hyperdub)
08. Samiyam – “Animals Have Feelings” (Stones Throw)
09. Mo Kolours – “A Soul’s Journey” (One-Handed Music)
10. John Forbes, Teach, Earth, Roots & Water – “Awakening” (Summer)
11. Van Dyke Parks – “Occapella” (Warner Bros.)
12. Tindersticks – “How He Entered” (City Slang/Lucky Dog)
13. Ravel – “Pavane Pour Une Infante Défunte” (Decca)
14. Pantha du Prince – “The Winter Hymn” (feat. Queens) (Rough Trade)
15. Solar Bears – “Wild Flowers” (Sunday Best Recordings)
16. The Field – “Pink Sun” (Kompakt)
17. DJ Koze – “Marilyn Whirlwind” (Victoria OST, Erased Tapes)
18. Grizzly Bear – “A Simple Answer” (Liars Remix) (Warp)
19. Lindstrøm – “Closing Shot” (Feedelity/Smalltown Supersound)
20. Tropic of Cancer – “Stop Suffering” (Blackest Ever Black)
21. Linda Buckley – “Haunt” (The Wake OST, Soundcloud)
22. Bonnie “Prince” Billy – “When Thy Song Flows Through Me” (Drag City/Domino)
23. Colin Stetson, Megan Stetson & The Sorrow Ensemble – “Sorrow – A Reimagining of Gorecki’s 3rd Symphony: II” (extract) (52Hz)
24. Conor Walsh – “K Theory” (Ensemble Music)
25. Hauschka – “Stromness” (Eluvium Remix) (City Slang)
26. Peter Broderick – “And Its Alright” (Nils Frahm RMX) (LateNightTales)
27. Ryuichi Sakamoto & Alva Noto – “The Revenant Theme” (Alva Noto Remodel) (The Revenant OST, Milan)
28. Nils Frahm – “Our Own Roof” (Victoria OST, Erased Tapes)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, March 2016. The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.